Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Clear as a bell

My sister got married yesterday. In atypical Minnesota fashion, and much to Weather.com's chagrin, the weather agreed and was not, in fact, severe. It was the perfect day; Michelle was stunning, the setting (perched above Lake Superior) was serene, the reception was intimate. My sister seems to have found the "man for the job" as Ken says, they seem happy, and that's all you can ask for, right? 
I went alone, because that's how I roll.
As I got in the cab to leave, Some Day My Prince Will Come by Miles Davis played, tinny, through the speakers. So this begs the question - will he? Or, perhaps more importantly, do I want him to?
Nonetheless, it was good to be home. Sometimes I feel like Minnesota is made of gumdrops and lollipops, other times, it's painful to be there. That said, I'm still not sure what's meant for me. I saw some wonderful friends who I miss terribly and for whom I would move back in a second. 
And now the weekend's over, the adrenaline is waning, the comfort of home is behind me. I'm somewhere over the Rockies now, turning to Rosie Thomas for advice and, let me tell you, she's good. 
"When will love ever find me?
Who cares, anyway
'Cause when it's over
All that matters 
Is the love you gave away"
I guess with or without a prince/pseudoprince/amphibian, I'm blessed. Blessed with friends who I love and love me, a mom who turns the other cheek like the saint she is, a sister who can love someone more freely than I ever may, a brother who values me, and a home that may sooner than later satisfy my proverbial sweet tooth. 
I guess time will tell, clear as a bell. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i lurve you, homey.