Saturday, February 12, 2011

VD

I generally despise Valentine's Day. I mean, why wouldn't I? In the profound words of the Superbowl halftime show-bombing Black Eyed Peas, "where is the love" in my life? And the fact that I'm taking energy to write about it is even more pathetic. I received an email from FTD (those rats latched onto me ever since I sent my mom flowers 5 years ago) and it fired me up á la the "Make her forget you forgot" St. Paul Hotel billboard circa 2006. Because I'm sure an overpriced dinner will completely negate the fact that you forgot your wife's [insert special occasion here], poof!


I think being the "envy of the office" is passé, but for argument's sake let's say it's not. It's 2011, for crying out loud, and I think a woman's intelligence/leadership/credentials should do the envy-making; not some overpriced, finite, albeit pretty, perennial given out of obligation.

Switching gears a bit, just when I was feeling sorry for myself as I usually do this time of year (I am pretty sure that there should be some sort of content filter for television which blocks the showing of "Say Yes to the Dress" in a household containing a single woman >30), I saw such a beautiful act of love in the nontraditional sense this morning. It's no secret that I'm concerned with the plight of the homeless in this city. It's palpable. I volunteer when I can and I work at a county hospital but I still feel utterly helpless when I see these people standing at main intersections with signs proclaiming their helplessness. Today I witnessed three women, two older and less agile, one younger, carrying backpacks and duffel bags and coffee thermoses and stopping from person to person on the street offering goods and a smile. It was so touching. And beautiful.

I guess, Fergie and Will.i.am, that's where the love is.

Happy Valentine's Day to those of you who celebrate, which I do in a way, Judy Fu's Snappy Dragon here I come!!!!

No comments: