Saturday, February 19, 2011

Wanna Be a Baller

A few of us ladies get together once a month to have breakfast, discuss faith and what's going on in our lives, and just have community. Today's breakfast cinnamon rolls, the topic what roles we play and how we identify with others and with Christ. Melody, the chef and hostess, told us she is referred to at her job (architect) as a "baller", which she had to look up on Wikipedia (Urban Dictionary says "a thug that has 'made it' to the big time"). Most of the women are married, some are moms, which is sort of the norm in this demographic, and I figured the roles I play right now just don't compare. Work is work, I like the job, it's hard for me as I feel like an idiot at least some part of most days, it's what I spend the majority of my time doing. The other role is daughter and sister; which I feel lousy at right now as I'm 1600 miles away from my family. I didn't include friend, because it didn't come to mind, and I need "my" time to regain the energy that social interaction drains from me. For these reasons I feel like a bad friend; I'm not socially proactive, I don't let people in. I guess I identify with "loner" and "misanthrope" more than friend, the latter of which my friends pointed out as not true. That's what they're good at, isn't it, seeing the "you" you don't see. And if these more-important-role-having wives and moms are right, being a friend is good preparation for those possibly more special roles I would like to have some day. Like a baller, shot caller, 20 inch blades on the Impala.

No comments: