Friday, March 04, 2011

To do list

Walking home tonight, passing the 24 Hour Emergency Vet on 41st and Stone, I noticed their quilted wall hanging, the ballast behind the check-in desk. I suppose in a situation that would bring you to such a place, maybe only a muted, old-fashioned cotton medley can provide comfort. Juxtaposed against the buzzing neon sign outside, with the sharp lines of a red cross announcing strength and relief, it shows warmth and care.

My mom is a quilter, and a prolific one at that. I am ashamed to say that I have not carried on this trait. Well, not yet, anyway. Said quilter mailed me a sewing machine a few years ago, perhaps in order to stymie my fate as an impatient, non-ladylike non-sewer. It’s plugged in and the bright, fun stack of fabrics I have are piled in a cute wire house, waiting to be put to use. Waiting. For me. Still.


Today I removed a TO DO LIST on a green Zyrtec post-it on my fridge. It had the following, all of which I have done/am in the process of doing. (Thanks to my cello teacher, Emily Ann Peterson, the Seattle Sailing Club, my friend and travel partner Sarah, and a little trip down under that has encouraged me to be a little less fat).


So it’s time for a new list of TO DOs I am motivated to accomplish. See #4. Let’s hope this one goes as well as the first list went, for my mother’s sake if not for that of some worried pet owners.



No comments: